Alrighty! Halloween is next Sunday and I wanted to hurry and share one of my fall favorites before the big day. I love to serve this on Halloween, its in the slow cooker for 4 hours before its ready, so its great to prepare ahead of time and enjoy before, after, or during trick or treating. Who doesn’t love a hot bowl of delicious chili on a cold night? Serve this chili with the sweet corn and bacon empanadas. Its great for crowds or just the family, you won’t be disappointed!
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. each paprika, onion powder, dried oregano, and kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. each ground coriander, garlic powder, and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. each red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper
For the Chili:
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lb. flat iron steak, trimmed, cubed and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup tequila (you can use water if you need to)
- 6 cups (2.5 lb.) diced tomatoes or 2 cans diced (28 oz. each)
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
For the chili garnish:
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno chili peppers
Stir together ingredients for fajita seasoning, set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a soup pot or dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown half the meat in oil; transfer to slow cooker. Brown remaining meat in 1 Tbsp. oil and transfer to slow cooker. Deglaze pot with tequila, scraping up flavorful bits from the bottom. Add to slow cooker.
Add tomatoes, bell peppers, diced onion, minced garlic, and fajita seasoning to slow cooker.
Stir in beef stock and flour. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir in beans and lime just before serving. Garnish with Sour cream, jalapeno, cilantro, and avocado.